We recently did an instagram post that was focused on teaching your child to love themselves, while encouraging them to find out how who that is. This is something I struggle with DAILY, because a big part of teaching self love, is practicing it yourself… and we all tend to be our own worst critics. Here are a few things I try to be conscious of and practice to ensure I am instilling the importance of self love and discovery:
Tips to Practice Self Love:
- Surround yourself with people who accept you as you are, but encourage you to be better
- Forgive yourself for your faults and accept no one is perfect
- Trust your struggle – whether we want to believe it or not EVERYTHING happens for a reason
- Learn from your mistakes – GROWING and CHANGING is good!!!
- Forgive others – hate is toxic in all forms and will only drag you down
- Don’t compare yourself to others – everyone has insecurities and with social media it is so easy to believe someone else’s life is perfect, when it isn’t!
- Don’t ever stop trying – Each day is a new day!
Tips to Teach Self Love:
- Start each day with 3 things you love about yourself – we do this in the mirror while getting ready in the morning (without fail Gracelyn says “I’m smart, I’m powerful and I’m beautiful)
- Teach them mistakes are okay
- Don’t compare them to others their age or siblings
- Praise them when they do good
- Compliment them often – not just on physical appearance
- Teach them to love and be kind – closed hearts make closed minds
- Celebrate their differences
- Encourage them to grow and change – it will be scarier for you, than for them
Of course there are hundreds of other ways to practice and teach self love, but even the few we listed above can be quite overwhelming. It’s not easy, especially in a world where it has become easy to constantly compare ourselves to each other. Which is why I encourage you, no CHALLENGE you, to take a step back and appreciate all that you are and all that you have. Because YOU are fearfully and wonderfully made, and there is NO ONE else on this earth exactly like you ❤️