With all this talk of new babies, and birth plans vs. reality, we decided it would be a good time to mention the things you ACTUALLY need for when baby comes home. The reality is the only thing your baby is going to be doing when they come home include eating, sleeping, and pooping. As we all know babies come when they want, so we aren’t always as prepared as we would like to be, but trust us the list is a lot shorter than you think.
- Carseat – For transportation from hospital to home
- Diapers and Wipes – For all the pooping that’s going to happen. You would be shocked how much a newborn can poop!
- Somewhere to sleep – Based on your sleeping plan this can vary from crib, to cosleeper, to pack n play – The options are unlimited
- A way to feed them – If you’re planning on breastfeeding then you’re set! Otherwise you’ll need some bottles, pump, formula, etc. Whatever is applicable to your plan is.
See, told you, super short list! Having a baby is already so overwhelming, we hope this list helps put into perspective what you actually need versus what you think you need, and in turn helps lower your overall stress level!
You’re probably thinking, “But what about ____??” So let’s look at a couple of those
- Changing table: While helpful for your back, honestly you can change a baby anywhere you want/need. I know people that NEVER used a changing table and would change in the floor at home.
- Monitors: in the beginning baby is normally right there with you. In the long run you’ll want this but in the first few weeks/months, you’re good.
- Stroller: Yes, these are so convenient but honestly not required. You can have a carseat that has a carrier or you can just carry you little one around.
So yes, there are lots of things that are helpful but so many things are not needed! Is there anything you think we missed that is necessary? We would love to hear your opinions!